Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Arts Explorer #5: Donnie Darko



This film was by far the worst choice I've made in movies. I always tell my self that I don't have the strength to watch a horror movie, but I always end up watching it just for the thrill and suspense.
Throughout the movie my interest was growing stronger as to what was going on and what will happen next. However, the second the film was over the movie kept replaying in my head. I thought at any moment Frank (the scary bunny) would jump out or would be standing over me while I'm sleeping.
This film is very surreal, in other words dreamlike or unreal hallucination feature of a dream that appears real. I absolutely would not recommend this movie to children to watch but I would tell friends to check it out since it has soo many elements and events that people can relate too or be interested in.

The main idea I found that was interesting  about the story line was that Donnie was living an imaginary life with an imaginary friend. It was very interesting to note that he talked to and had an imaginary bunny. This can be related back to children because like most children, creating imaginary friends is a big part being a kid. I know I had a imaginary friends growing up. They would listen and not judge you, well course not since you answered for them...
This can also relate to children in ways that children may have trouble fitting in in school with friends and sometime families.Which can lead some children to create their own friends for the sake of comfort.

Although this story is unrealistic, there are still many aspects that children, teens and adults can relate to with themselves or with someone they know.




References
Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar

No comments:

Post a Comment